If you’ve ever encountered the “A generic error occurred in GDI+” error, it may have resulted in the pulling of hair, throwing of blunt objects or the creation of new swear words!
I recently faced this problem in a small app I did, and after hours of scouring Google, I couldn’t find a definitive answer…
System.Runtime.InteropServices.ExternalException: A generic error occurred in GDI+. at System.Drawing.Image.Save(String filename, ImageCodecInfo encoder, EncoderParameters encoderParams) at System.Drawing.Image.Save(String filename, ImageFormat format) at System.Drawing.Image.Save(String filename)
For reference, here is the code I was using:
Private Sub CreateScreenshot() Dim img As New Bitmap(Me.Width, Me.Height) Dim gr As Graphics = Graphics.FromImage(img) gr.CopyFromScreen(New Point(Me.Left, Me.Top), New Point(0, 0), img.Size) Dim newimg As Bitmap img.Save(Environment.SpecialFolder.MyDocuments & "\alarm.png", ImageFormat.Png) End Sub
Can you spot the mistake?
Now, most online “fixes” tell you it’s a permissions issue or a “locked” file issue. I knew it wasn’t a permissions issue, as it’s “My Documents” (it has the word “My” in the folder for cryin’ out loud!), and I knew it wasn’t a “locked” issue because I wasn’t reading in an Image file.
So, after some time on the throne (this is where most of my solutions are devised), I thought, “maybe I need to verify the path I’m trying to save to actually exists.”
I don’t use the Environment.SpecialFolder shortcuts very often, so I’ll chalk it up to that, but with a bit of debugging (read: a Messagebox echoing my .Save path), I found out that I need to enclose the Environment.SpecialFolder.MyDocuments call in another Method that actually returns the desired path. This method is System.Environment.GetFolderPath.
After changing my .Save line to:
img.Save(System.Environment.GetFolderPath(Environment.SpecialFolder.MyDocuments) &amp;amp; "\alarm.png", ImageFormat.Png)
it all worked without error!
So… if you’re struggling with this error and you’ve verified it’s not a permissions issue or the “file being in use” issue, you might just double-check to make sure you’re saving to a “real” filepath!